Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I was accepted into a writing workshop in Provincetown, Massachusetts, for this summer. I am so looking forward to it, though with some trepidation about being ina new place on my own. I haven't been to Massachusetts since I was twelve, and then I was with my parents and we were in Boston. Not at all the same. Provincetown is a small town on the peninsula (arm) of the state, right at the tip on the inside of the bay. That's one of the reasons I'm so excited; I think the waves and the beach are going to be fabulous. I don't know how inspiring they will be for me, the whitest man on the planet. My skin will turn to lobster flesh, but I think that I will be elated by the sun and the water and the closeness to the ocean. Wee hee!

The teacher is Kathryn Davis. I looked up a few of her books on amazon, and bought one that's called Labrador. I haven't begun it yet, but it should be engaging as the back of the book seems like something I've never read before. Rare thing. If I like it, I'm going to order another. If I don't, I'm going to figure out why and try to learn from her anyway. Just because I don't like a person's writing does not mean I can't learn from her. And besides, I think I will like it for the sheer fact that it seems authentically different.

I wasn't able to get into the housing that they have on the "campus." But they have a number of recommendations of hotels that I can stay at. I don't know whether I need to rent a car or not. I don't want to, since it would be expensive, but I don't know if I'll need transportation at all during the week. I want to find a place that's within walking distance of the fine arts center. That way I wouldn't need a car and I could just take a taxi from and to the airport.

I got my airplane ticket. Holy Jeez! It was $700! I suppose I should just chalk it up to gas prices, but wow! I thought it would be more like $400 or $500.

This is going to end up to be a really expensive week...but I'm hoping it regenerates my writing. I need a bit of inspiration. Dad's death slowed me down and I'm still coming back from it. I want to get my hockey book done and back to the agent. I don't want him to forget about me. Also, I think the hockey book is actually pretty good. At least, if I end up putting it together the way I think it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home