Monday, April 21, 2008

Blue Bloods

I just finished reading a book I really enjoyed called Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz. Even though I don't really like high fashion and raves and all that jazz, I really like what de la Cruz did with this story. She has a complex plot that includes a referene back to Roanoke colony and why everyone disappeared. She even has her own meaning for "Croatan" which comes into play at the end of the book.

The majority of the story is about Schuyler who discovers that she is a blue blood, a vampire. At her age (teens) her blood is coming alive again for her new cycle of life. She is realizing that she has lived before and that she has known the other blue bloods in other incarnations. She has "flash backs" to past life experiences and needs to figure out how to deal with them.

What's cool is the twists that de la Cruz uses. She throws in a number of diary entries from a woman who came over on the Maylower and discovered with her group the fate of the Roanoke colony. She also throws in some folklore about angels and devils and connects it to vampires. What I thought was coolest was her use of Red Bloods, Blue Bloods, and Silver Bloods, and how they are interconnected.

I really look forward to reading the next installment of the series, which is called Masquerade. I ordered it from amazon.com but I can't wait for it to come. I was going to read the first chapter at the end of Blue Bloods, but I didn't want to get my hopes up and have to stop. As it is, I purposely took my time with Blue Bloods so I could have it to read every day. Cool book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home