Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Aztecs

I'm trying to add to my unit on the Aztecs and Mayans. I started a short two week unit last year, and I am not content with everything. I have a PowerPoint on the background of the Aztecs--map, society levels, crops, animals, sacrifice, ballgame, etc. And I have a PowerPoint on the Aztec gods. We also read two sets of myths: creation stories and hero stories. There are three creation stories and two hero stories. Those seemed to go pretty well. I don't have a longer story, though. With Greek I have THE ODYSSEY and OEDIPUS THE KING, but the Aztecs don't seem to have a lengthy tale like that.

I have ordered the movie THE ROAD TO EL DORADO, though I know it's not totally accurate and though I know I don't really want to show a movie. I figured I'd have it on hand if I had a sub or something...

I guess what I want is a project where the students are doing their own discovery learning and work with a partner or small group. Since I have had them do that with the Greeks for the Greek gods and the Greek afterlife, I don't want to have them do that with the Aztec gods or the Aztec afterlife. But nothing else is coming to mind.

I found a pretty interesting website on the Aztecs, though. It's called mexicolore. They have a ton of information, including a story about the Mexican batman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home