Saturday, April 02, 2005

Sin City

A visually awesome film. From the opening sequence with the blaze of green eyes to the way the rain falls at an angle to the skittering of the cars across the pavement, a truly great piece of filmmaking.

That being said, an extremely gruesome film. Up until Marv and the parole officer are imprisoned, I was fine. But once she shows him the stump of an arm she has left and reveals what has happened to her fingers, I had a bit of a sickness in my stomach for the rest of the movie. I think I could have even handled the heads on the wall if I hadn't had to envision what happened to her hand.

The best story of the three was by far the Bruce Willis old-man-dies, young-woman-lives story. Despite the disgusting aspects of "Junior" and the walloping of Willis' head, the segment had some touching moments. One of these was when Nancy leaves his hospital room after she has explained she has been threatened to secrecy and says she loves him. I also was able to forgive the extreme May-December romance because of the backstory. Hartigan admits he's old enough to be her grandfather and he resists her to the end, but part of him loves her as deeply as she loves him. She's had years to think about what he risked for her and of his heroics, it's no wonder she loves him more than she could love any other man. And the end of his tale shows his utter love and devotion to her.

I want to say this was a great film, but I still need to think about it some more. I need to balance out my disgust with my awe and see which comes out on top. I think if I were ten years younger and in my Pulp Fiction days, I would think this was utterly amazing. Too civic minded now to think that and to view death and serial killing simply. . . maybe with some time. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home