Saturday, July 24, 2004

Concerts a-go-go

My wife and I have been to a number of concerts together over the years. In the past few years (read 5-7 years), we have become quite choosey about which ones we go to. These days going to a concert is an investment (in money and time). So it's strange that this past week we had two different concerts--Tuesday was Sting with special guest Annie Lennox at the Target Center, and Wednesday was the Finn Brothers (Neil and Tim) at the Guthrie (soon to be demolished by city planners who don't appreciate history).

In a nut shell, these concerts couldn't have been more different.

The venues, the atmosphere, the audience, etc., etc.

I enjoyed myself at the Finn Brothers concert more. Neil Finn has always been an entertaining musician. My wife and I have seen him in concert twice before (both times with Crowded House and both the best concerts we've ever attended). Neil and brother Tim talked to the audience between each song, not only introducing the tunes, but also cracking jokes, addressing the audience, blabbering about whatever came into their heads. They were FUN and funny and cool and they talked about how much the like Minneapolis, which is always good to hear.

The Sting concert was also cool, but in a different way. I like Sting from his early days as the lead singer of the Police. His first solo album was good, but after that I only really appreciate Ten Summoner's Tales. So Blue Turtles and Summoner's Tales are about all I like of his. He skipped Turtles entirely, but he did play "Englishman in New York," which is good. I like its message (be yourself no matter what they say, sort of a turn on Polonius in Hamlet: This above all to thine own self be true). Some of the rest of his songs bored me a little--too adult easy-listening for my alternative taste. But I still was glad I went.

Annie Lennox rocked. She makes me laugh with her odd dancing and noise making. I think she has a stellar voice and I like mostly all of her songs (except "I Need a Man" which she played, unfortunately). She did this awesome rendition of "Here Comes the Rain" solo on the piano. It was fabulous. She also did "Sweet Dreams," which I wasn't sure she would. I don't know what the legal issues are between her and Dave Stewart regarding the Eurythmics songs, but it must be fairly amicable. She played this one from her new album Bare called "Pavement Cracks" which I enjoyed, but didn't realize was "new" because I'd been listening to Bare all day and wasn't able to distinguish it from her other songs. (Weird for me, which is why I mention it.)

I enjoyed Annie's portion of the concert much more, but I'm glad to have seen Sting. I've always liked him and didn't get to see him back in the '80s when I wanted to.

All in all, both good, but clearly the Finns win out because of their personalities. Neither Sting nor Annie Lennox said much to the crowd, but then the crowd was about five times larger, in their defense.

Oh, and I got a Finn Brothers promo CD on the way out. I got one from the last handful they handed out. It's got two songs from their new CD out next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home