Tuesday, July 13, 2004

procrastination

I've written a few chapters on the novel I intend to finish by the end of the summer, but not nearly enough. I put too much pressure on myself to create something perfect and then invent reasons not to write, or simply don't take the time.

Today I rearranged the VHS and DVDs. Swapped shelves so the VHS are where the DVD used to be and vice versa. A very important job. Also I filled out some rebate forms. This, of course, is an important task, but not one that I should be doing in place of writing.

The thing is I'm kind of stuck where I am right now with the characters. I know what they'll be doing in a few chapters, but not right now. And I can't jump ahead because of certain timing issues. I wanted to try to sit and think about it today, but my wife has been sick for about a month now and she's so frustrated with herself and her lack of ability to do anything that I feel sorry for her and spend some time sort of entertaining her and not working on my book like I should. But I can't think of anything more important than making sure my wife is okay. there's not much else I can do for her other than spend time and try to find entertaining things to do. And anyway, I feel guilty when I'm at my computer and she's alone.

Anyway, I think I'll have to find a crisis for Ben and Hannah that does not have anything to do with Hannah's sister Abby. Once I find this, life will be easier.

3 Comments:

At 7/15/2004 3:24 PM , Blogger John said...

Hiya. I'm in GF, all okay. Back on Friday. Will call Saturday (and Becca) to figure out day for IKEA Adventure.

We talked about your cousin's writing at Chili's, so no comments for that unless I think of something more.

Still ruminating on Family & Responsibilty/Time topic.

You know (or maybe you don't) that I support you in every way when it comes to your writing. I understand that you are frustrated time-wise right now. You will get your time to write, it may not happen today, this minute, but it will come.

From your earlier comment on my blog: "Our Lives". Yes, we two lead very different lives. Are we so 2 very different men, then? If yes, why do we get along so well? Opposites attract? We see something in each other that we feel we ourselves lack? We see something in each other that we want for ourselves? We compliment each other (and I don't mean "Nice shirt.".)? Actually, I don't like that last one....I see you and Mrs. M more of compliments to each other. Or, gasp, we are more alike than either would care to admit.

My friend Sharon, in all seriousness, would say we get along so well is because we knew each other in previous lives. Perhaps we were siblings, neighbors, spouses, employer & employee. In every one of our previous lives, we knew each other or came into contact with one another, no matter how brief or casually.

I don't necessarily believe in her reincarnation theories, but I believe that she believes it. Besides, I like the siblings theory (I think I've mentioned that before).

 
At 7/16/2004 5:42 PM , Blogger John said...

I was re-reading your post and suddenly thought of something. I, too, have rearranged or reshuffled the DVDs/Videos/Books/CDs as a way to put off doing something else. When a person does a grand re-arrangement, (and I mean a big swap like you have described, not just a "tidying up") I liken it to a near-creative act.

There is something very soothing in a job so...precise. Ordering or organizing the media helps order/organize one's thoughts and plans. You already know how the media is going to be placed, the act itself is largely mechanical. The pressure you have put on yourself (in this case, to write), is being worked off and out by the physical act of re-arranging. This leaves your brain/mind free to calmly and quietly mull your other concerns. After the rearranging is over, you are able to approach your other tasks with a fresh perspective and, perhaps, enthusiasm and a plan.

 
At 7/19/2004 1:26 PM , Blogger MC said...

I agree that rearranging/restructuring is a somewhat creative act. And I believe that it does leave your mind freer to devote to other things. Also, it's a concrete act with a concrete result that you can see. I mean, I like the way the videos look now :-)

And in response to the comment before--I believe in past lives. I believe that people are connected to others from one life to another. I believe that Mara dn I must have had some sort of relationship in our last lives. As for you and me, it's entirely possible. I think our major differences are based on who we know and how are lives are structured, not on personality. For some aspects, we're the same. For others, really not. I mean, I clearly have a better fashion sense...you clearly have a better knowledge of Dr. Who. It's all relative. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home