Saturday, June 04, 2011

Let the Right One in




I watched the Swedish version of this movie, the original, a couple nights ago while sitting up with my 3 week old son. The volume was down, so hopefully the crazy bloodthirsty weirdness did not penetrate his tiny mind at all.


I hav to say this movie requires patience from an American viewer. The scenes are long and completely voyeuristic rather than narrated. The viewer must intuite a number of things. This is the type of movie I generally enjoy; however, for some reason, I didn't enjoy the intuiting as much with this movie. I struggled with some of the scenes to find the intended meaning.



One scene near the end is a visual masterpiece. When Oskar is held under water by Jimmy the bully and Eli saves him, the view is underwater and incredibly unique. For this filming, and a few ote things, I must say I liked the movie overall. Still it wasn't until I talked about the movie with my wife for a while tha I began to appreciate it more. Talking through what I thouht the director was trying to say helped me understand the movie much more.

That said, I don't think I ever need to see it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home