Saturday, December 05, 2009

Costa Rica 2

The rain ponchos have arrived. They are quite large and very poncho-esque, which will be good for quick rain coverage. I took mine out of its package with the idea that I could put it back in the package. Said package seemed large enough to hold a rain poncho whether it had been packed by a machine or by a person. I was very, very wrong. Rain poncho is now it's own entity, free in the world with no packaging.

I have also gathered one dollar bills. Apparently, many vendors in Costa Rica, like Mexico, are willing to take American dollars in small denominations.

I was looking at the DK Eyewitness book on Costa Rica and reading up a bunch of the things we'll see. One of the sections is on souvenirs. So I guess I'm supposed to get a replica of an ox cart because they are widely used by farmers and are very brightly colored. Honestly, they look pretty cool, but a replica ox cart sounds like it will turn into kindling in my suitcase.

Anyway, I'm still concerned about monkeys trying to steal my camera. And now also about poisonous snakes in the banana plantation. Apparently it's a real problem if you don't have the correct footwear, e.g. plastic knee-high boots.

1 Comments:

At 12/06/2009 3:22 PM , Blogger John said...

The oxcart is the symbol of Costa Rica; you'll see them all over the place. If I recall correctly, Elaine had a small one on the property of her coffee plantation. You can read more about it here (scroll down to the Crafts section): http://centralamerica.com/cr/moon/moart.htm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home