Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Costa Rica

So I agreed to go to Costa Rica this X-mas holiday with my wife. I have wanted to see this beautiful country ever since my friend J went and I knew I couldn't travel with him. I keep teasing my wife that I'm afraid that the spider monkeys will steal my camera, but I really don't think that will happen.

What I am afraid of is the heat and the sun. I will burn like a lobster and I will sweat like a pig. I will be a lobster-pig. This is not something I want for my vacation pictures. But what the hell. It's our fifteenth wedding anniversary. We wanted to do something special. I think London might have been more meaningful to me, but certainly not more special, if special means unique.

I am currently consulting packing lists and survival guides so I am prepared. I have purchased a rain poncho because I hate rain jackets. They are restrictive and get hot. But the poncho is easy to put on and will still be ventilated. Plus, it was cheap. I usually rely on an umbrella and not a jacket/poncho, but after the rainiest vacation ever this past summer in Central Europe, I have been reformed. Struggling with my camera and the umbrella will not happen again. Also, the umbrella strap ended up in a bunch of my photos. Boo to you, umbrella.

Clothes is the next question. Iusually wear short and tee-shirts on my vacations, but in Central Europe I tried wearing some seer sucker button shirts. They were very comfortable and airy, and a little dressier. So I'll probably bring mostly button shirts. The question is how many? The shirts didn't seem to last more than one wearing because of how many hours we were out walking around and how much I sweat. I'd like to think that I could wash them in our hotel room, but what if the air conditioning is not working or working poorly? They wouldn't dry very well then...

Problems.

Then the question becomes do I need to bring more than one book. And what book or books? Currently I'm reading a YA mystery from a woman I met at the Loft and a book on the actual history and beliefs in vampires from around the world. Both interesting, but neither one would be a good plane companion.

Well...more on Costa Rica later.

1 Comments:

At 12/04/2009 7:42 PM , Blogger Mariah! said...

See, this is when you need the Barnes & Noble eReader app for your iPod Touch or iPhone…Susan’s book won’t last you that long and the vampire one sounds kind of big and cumbersome. I would suggest Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for obvious blog reasons; but alas, that is quite cumbersome as well. Go for something new and paperback like one that you pick up at the airport. If you hate it, you can always leave it for someone else to peruse by placing it in the plane pouch next to the barf bag, exiting/crash instruction card, and the AirMall catalog. Yep, I’ve done this at least 5 times before!

As for the weather – from a girl who got lost in Athens with both you and your wife for quite a few miles or circles, in 126 degree hair dryer heat; you’ll make it through and hardly remember the sweating. Really! Woo Hoo, Costa Rica!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home