Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Dreamland

I'm reading a YA book called Dreamland. The premise is interesting: the main characters sister who has always overshadowed her runs away from home. At first I didn't agree with where the author began to tell the story. It's a little slow when Cass first leaves, but then I thought it was fine later on. The scenes in the beginning with Boo are great. I love the one when Boo discovers Caitlin has become a cheerleader and Caitlin tries to hide the uniform.

It really had me until Caitlin suddenly started smoking cigarettes out of the blue and said she needed them to calm down. If she hadn't smoked at all yet, if she's not an avid smoker, how could a cigarette calm her down? It made me angry 1. that she was smoking at all when she's 16 and 2. that the author assumes cigarettes calm you down. So even though I'm mostly enjoying the book, I'm mad at it now. Plus Caitlin met a guy at the carwash and then an hour later let him take off her bra. Hussy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home