Sunday, October 17, 2004

The Killers vs. Duran Duran

A few months back, I was listening to my favorite local station, Drive 105 FM, and they played a song called "Somebody Told Me" by the Killers. I listened for the song each time I was in the car, shower, etc., and liked it more and more. So I decided to take a chance and buy the album. Now there's always a danger in purchasing an album when one has only heard a single song from said album. I've been burned in the past. A number of times. But I've also found some interesting new groups and singers. Case in point, Muse. I had only heard one of their songs before obtaining Absolution and since then have been in pursuit of all of their albums. Of course, the only one that's even come close to Absolution's greatness is Showbiz.

Anyway, I went nuts and bought the Killers' album Hot Fuss. (Why it has this ludicrous title, I don't know.) And since, I've had a hard time taking it out of my CD player. I've made copies for the car, the job, and the livingroom. I can't get enough of it. Love it, love it, love it. Though none of the songs are quite as driving as "Somebody Told Me," they all have something catchy about them. I would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite tune, though "Andy, You're a Star" and "All These Things That I've Done" stand out a bit for me.

What makes this band even more intriguing for me is due to an article I read in some entertainment magazine yesterday. Not only did this article compare The Killers to Duran Duran, who in the 80s were rock'n'roll geniuses in my book, but the article also mentioned that my hero and personal god David Bowie attended The Killers concert. Bowie has just finished his own tour, not to mention heart surgery, and to hear he's taken an interest in a band I'm interested in really...oh, pitiful me...it validates my music taste. There, I've said it. Why I would ever rely on the opinion of someone I don't know is so 15 years old, but David Bowie is "special."

The thing that sticks out in my memory about the article, aside from David of course, is the comparison to Duran Duran. I've liked Duran all along. Even through their sticky Power Station/Arcadia phase, and all through the last fifteen years when they haven't been ultra-spotlighted. One of their best albums was Medazzaland from 1997.

Well, the point is that I was thrilled that Duran Duran has a new album called Astronaut and got it yesterday. And...well...The Killers are better...Okay, okay, maybe I need to give Astronaut a couple more listens, but The Killers had me right away with Hot Fuss. I think the problem might be that Duran Duran has reassembled all of its members. I think they were strongest when it was just Simon LeBon, John Taylor, and Nick Rhodes. The other two Taylors kind of muddy the waters, in my opinion.

So, The Killers win for now.

1 Comments:

At 10/17/2004 4:42 PM , Blogger John said...

Had just read a blip in the Strib about the new Duran album, more or less positive mini-review. Was thinking about picking it up myself (or you could burn it for me...)

Then was looking through the CD collection for something to play whilst updating gradebook. Discovered there is a remix of "Sunrise" on QEFSG soundtrack. (Ended up settling on PSB.)

Then read your blog entry. How's that for major Duran Duran coincendence? Spooky.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home