Thursday, August 23, 2007

Today was a good day

I actually had some time for myself today in between appointments for my father's revisiting cancer. I got to do the coolest thing. I have only once before been anywhere close to doing this, and it was not on such a high caliber.

I got to meet Pete Hautman, a YA author I have read over the past eight years. One I actually have respect for. I read one of his books yesterday to prepare because the group who hosted him was a teen book club at the SLP library. They read Godless about a group of teens who begin to worship the local water tower, the Ten-legged One. It was a great satire about religion, and a good example of the power of religious leaders.

He was interesting and witty and very personable. I spoke to him briefly after and he seemed like a really cool guy. I told him how much I liked how he wrote and he seemed to actually appreciate the comment. I think I will reread his book Sweetblood about a diabetic girl who believes diabetes and vampirism are related.

Meeting Pete Hautman was one of the highlights of my summer, even in the face of my trip to Greece and Italy. He reinstilled my passion for writing, and I've been in a slump lately.

1 Comments:

At 8/23/2007 11:16 PM , Blogger Missy said...

I am glad for you....nothing like a blog hopping stranger smiling for your day...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home