Sunday, October 15, 2006

NaNoWriMo

NaNo starts in a few weeks. I went to a class at the Loft yesterday that is dedicated to NaNo. Mostly it seemed to be for beginners, those who know little about NaNo. So in a way it was a waste of my time, though I did have fun. J and Woman came, as did Brett from my Yam group. Woman said it was helpful in making her feel motivated to do the task.

I have serious doubts that she'll finish. Of course, it would be totally understandable since she doesn't have free time right now and we watch TV only on Friday nights. I don't know how she'll find the time without losing more sleep. BUT, I really want her to finish. I'd like to see what she puts together. And I'd like her to get a taste for novel writing because I think she'd be good at it.

I think Brett will finish. He finished last year and he has a pretty decent idea of what he will write. He's starting a series for middle grade readers. It sounded pretty interesting.

I'm not sure about J. He has been writing for a while now, taking classes at the Loft. But I don't think he's ever written anything of this length before. I'm concerned that he will get overwhelmed at about 15,000 and stop. I hope he finishes, though, because I'd like to see how his story will turn out.

Me...most likely I will finish. The precedent has been set, so I kind of have to or I'm a real loser. I have a story idea and I've been thinking through the potential snags I'll come to and trying to puzzle them out now a little. I am going to write some notes and a bit of an outline, but I know I will not stick to a whole outline, so I don't want to put the work into one.

My idea: Simon and Troy have been best friends forever. When they are fifteen, Troy is abducted and missing for a year. He returns home to the welcoming arms of his parents, but Simon is suspicious; Troy does not seem to be who he says he is.

1 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 8:49 PM , Blogger John said...

Magnus=Scott?

I have no fear that you will finish, though I would not think you a loser if you didn't. Still, I have complete faith in you.

I have my moments about whether or not I will finish. I see it more as a challenge to actually dare something. The last couple of years I have lost much confidence in myself. If I get even half-way through this, I gain some back.

YOU, MC, are my writing role model. And my best friend. I will draw strength and courage from you. For you, I will supply you with Dew and M&Ms whenever you call.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home